Systemic Innovation Business Building
A lot goes into building a business, particularly a business that seeks to make a dent in the status quo, and create systemic wellbeing. Our systemic innovation process typically requires one or several organizations involved at the systemic level to participate in a multi-stage process, that starts with basic alignment and finishes with a working business.
While Hapi has supported many organizations with specific parts of this process, what makes Hapi special is its ability to pull together multiple skillsets to support clients through the whole process—from a vague challenge to a working business. For more information on specific services read below.
Stage 1: Getting on the same page
There is tremendous power in starting a process right. Depending on the client and the challenge, this stage can include speeches, courses, alignment workshops, and even sounding board sessions. The goal of this stage is for clients to get more clarity on where they are and what options they have moving forward.
Hapi has a wide toolkit it uses to help clients get started:
A speech is a great way to get an organization aligned around certain critical concepts. Some of the most popular speeches include:
- What is innovation and how do you innovate?
- How do we prepare for the future?
- The future of [education, insurance, banking, etc.]
- Systemic Innovation
- Building our Business 2.0
A course is a great way to get people who will be building innovative businesses to have the basics to be more effective. Some of the more popular courses include:
- Getting Started with Innovation
- I have an Idea, now what do I do
- Analytical Thinking and Structured Communication
Alignment workshops are one of Hapi’s most successful products. Using world-class techniques and software, we help organizations efficiently reach agreements on where to focus their energies. Satisfied clients include:
- Government entities
- Boards of directors
- Board committees
- Multi-stakeholder organizations (chambers, private-public partnerships, etc.)
Sounding Board Sessions
Leaders are often alone in their leadership roles. They have been tasked to accomplish amazing things from the platform they lead, but often have few trusted advisors they can go to for advice. Hapi has been a sounding board for:
- Chief Innovation Officers
- Digital Transformation Leaders
- Boards of Directors
- Executive Directors
- Ministers and Secretaries
- Presidential Commissioners
Stage 2: Complexity Analysis
Hapi has specialized in simplifying the complex. Hapi principally uses two tools to approach complex challenges: Issues Analysis (a tool used by management consulting) and Systems Mapping. What has made clients so happy is Hapi’s ability to go deeper to understand the challenge they are facing, and to emerge from the complexity with a few key insights that are the critical leverage points of the challenge.
Issues Analysis has been used for decades by Management Consultants to create a structured approach to tackle unstructured, complex challenges. Hapi offers Issues Analysis workshops to help clients come up with a structured plan to approach a challenge they are facing. Cases include:
- A large agro-industrial operation needing to adapt their operations to COVID-19
- An executive team of a large industrial company needing to define their go-to-market strategy for small businesses
- Several startups defining their crisis-response strategy to COVID-19
One Hapi’s specialties is creating systems maps that give clients better visibility of how their system works, where the leverage points are, and how to move forward. Cases include:
- Sustainability Strategy for a large agro-industrial company: A map showing the interconnections between current sustainability initiatives and future EBITDA, to prioritize sustainability efforts
- Risk Management Strategy for a large real estate company: A map showing the interconnections between risks and business operations, to prioritize risk mitigation efforts
- Innovation Strategy for a country’s electricity grid Administrator: A map showing the entire flow of the electricity grid from generation to commercialization, including stakeholders and tensions, to prioritize innovation efforts
- Growth Strategy for Export Association: A map of the country’s exports and key pinpoints in the export support system, to prioritize support initiatives
- Innovation Flow for Bank: A social network map showing innovation interactions among 1,700 employees to make better management decisions to help innovation flow more effectively
- Experience Improvement Strategy for University: A map showing student interactions with the University through the entire lifecycle (potential student through alumni), to prioritize student experience improvement initiatives
- Per capita consumption increase Strategy for Food Company: A map bringing together 5 years of market research to identify the critical factors that contribute to per capita consumption of a food commodity, to identify and prioritize initiatives to increase consumption
- Collaboration Strategy for Social Impact Organization: A map showing the interconnectedness between impact efforts of its members to provide a clearer strategy for collaboration
- New Product Development Strategy for Financial Institution: A map showing how money flows through an industry to identify and prioritize new financial products for SMEs
Stage 3: Innovation Process
Once a client is clear on where their leverage points are and where they can make a bigger impact, or said differently, once a client is clear on what problem they actually want to solve, then a structured process for identifying and prioritizing innovative solutions begins. There are many different innovation processes out there, but Hapi specializes in Disruptive Innovation Business Concepts.
Leveraging world-class software tools and methodologies, in partnership with IXL Center, Hapi guides teams through a structured brainstorming process to identify new growth or impact opportunities around the challenge or leverage point. Cases include:
- Guiding universities to identify and prioritize a new strategic initiatives to impact education nationwide
- Guiding medium-size companies to identify and prioritize new business concepts
- Guiding startups and SMEs to identify pivots close to their core business that can generate growth
- Guiding industry associations to identify and prioritize strategic initiatives to help their constituents do more business
- Guiding holding companies to identify new growth areas that bring together the skillset of their portfolio companies
- Guiding non-profit organizations to identify and prioritize high-impact initiatives to move the needle more in their impact areas
Leveraging world-class software tools and methodologies, in partnership with IXL Center, Hapi guides teams through a structured validation process to take innovative business concepts to market. Cases include:
- Guiding a dedicated innovation team in an export association to build a disruptive consolidad go-to-market for medical tourism
- Guiding a dedicated innovation team in an export association to build a disruptive e-commerce solution for small exporters that includes white labeling and product adaptation
- Guiding part-time innovation teams in a large industrial company through a structured process to build incremental innovations in their sales and operations
- Guiding part-time innovation teams in a private school to build new revenue streams
- Guiding part-time innovation teams in a non-profit to build their high-impact initiatives
- Guiding SMEs through a structured process to build new revenue streams
Stage 4: Business Building
Once a business concept gets enough momentum, it’s time to turn it into a working business. This involves moving from prototypes to real working solutions, being used by real clients. Hapi is selective about where to invest its business-building energy, and usually requires a partnership to engage in this service. The current business incubation portfolio includes:
One of the critical systemic challenges in many countries is improving the ability of small businesses to grow and transition towards a global, digital economy.
In partnership with IXL Center, Hapi is helping build QuickGrowth, an automated consulting platform for small businesses. QuickGrowth brings together decades of experience in strategic innovation consulting, small business innovation programs, and software development to provide a step-by-step process that allows small businesses to improve their current business, expand their business and increase sales—all leveraging digital tools.
Hundreds of millions of people globally are suffering from diabetes or are at risk of becoming diabetic. One of the most effective ways of solving this systemic problem is through lifestyle modification. HealthJourney aims to help millions of people adopt healthier lifestyles through a combination of diet, movement, sleep, mindset and stress management.
After a profound analysis on how to increase income generation in Central America (you can read the paper at Hoover.org), Hapi decided to incubate its own self-employment platform, Yavoy—a marketplace for Home Repair and Maintenance Services.
Interested in a Hapi service?
Contact us below and we will be happy to discuss your options.